Monday, November 15, 2010

Are You Ready to Shop In The Social Network?


Brooke Bobb's article, Are You Ready to Shop In the Social Network?, on Elle.com discusses a recent buzz about social networking sites dedicated strictly to fashion.  

Bobb is rather unclear in her article, and by the end of the article I was still unsure and confused about the websites.  Bobb begins her article by comparing Facebook fan pages to magazine ads, saying that a balance of the two is proving to be successful.  However, I found this to be an irrelevant comparison because this is the only reference Bobb makes to Facebook throughout the entire article.  

In the second paragraph, Bobb said, "Bizzy will relaunch its site, which automatically updates recommendations for local boutiques based on the similar picks from other users."  I honestly had no idea what this statement meant, and I think that Bobb should have provided more of an explanation of what "bizzy" is and about how these websites work in general.

At the end of her article, Bobb proposed the question, "Is there a growing demand for connectivity and communication through fashion e-commerce?"  She answered this question by saying, "It seems that way with the growing popularity of 'haul videos' amongst teenagers, the practically vintage Polyvore, and an ever-expanding blogosphere."  Again, Bobb created confusion with this statement, in my opinion, because I have no idea what a haul video is.

I was interested to read this article at first because the title led me to believe that there were new and improved ways of online shopping.  However, I found Bobb's article to be confusing and lacking important facts and information. 




No comments:

Post a Comment